LONG BEACH (CNS) – Sentencing is set today for a former Long Beach Marriott hotel chef who threatened to shoot up his place of business last summer.
Rodolfo Montoya, 37, of Huntington Beach, pleaded no contest Jan. 13 to two felony counts of criminal threats. He is facing three years and eight months in prison as a result of the plea negotiated with prosecutors.
Montoya told a co-worker last Aug. 19 “that he was going to shoot up fellow employees and people coming into the hotel,” Long Beach police Chief Robert Luna said at a news conference announcing the chef’s arrest. The co-worker told the hotel’s general manager, Imran Ahmed, who called police.
Montoya was arrested the following day by Long Beach police and has remained behind bars since then, according to jail records.
A search of Montoya’s home yielded tactical gear, a variety of weapons — including an AR-15 rifle — and hundreds of rounds of ammunition, according to Luna, who alleged the defendant was “upset about some recent workplace activity having to do with H.R. (human resources).”
The police chief thanked Ahmed for coming forward and alerting investigators.
“Sir, you saved many lives, not only of your employees but any customers that may have been at the Marriott when this guy decided to show up and carry out his threat,” Luna said then.