California’s largest multi-stage bicycling event returned to Southern California this week, with the Amgen Tour of California making its way from Ontario to Mount Baldy Friday, and from Santa Clarita to Pasadena the next day. Angelenos will likely face road closures on Saturday, as bicyclists make the 78-mile journey on Saturday.
“Residents planning to travel on race day are advised to plan ahead by reviewing the closures,” Santa Clarita officials said in a news release earlier this month.
The following Santa Clarita streets will be closed on May 18:
Closed from 8 to 11:30 a.m.
- Northbound McBean Parkway, from Valencia Boulevard to Copper Hill Drive
- Eastbound Copper Hill Drive, from McBean Parkway to Seco Canyon Road
Closed from 8:30 a.m. to noon
- East and westbound Copper Hill Drive, from Seco Canyon Road to David Way
- North and southbound Bouquet Canyon Road, from Plum Canyon Road to Vasquez Canyon Road
Closed from 8:50 a.m. to noon
- East and westbound Vasquez Canyon Road, from Bouquet Canyon Road to Sierra Highway
- North and southbound Sierra Highway, from Vasquez Canyon Road and Sand Canyon Road
Closed from 9 a.m. to noon
- North and southbound Sand Canyon Road, from Sierra highway to Soledad Canyon Road
- Eastbound Soledad Canyon Road, from Sand Canyon Road to Mammoth Lane
Following their course through Santa Clarita, bicyclists will make their way through the communities of Forest Park, Ravenna and Acton before cutting through the Angeles National Forest and emerging in La Canada-Flintridge and arriving in Pasadena. These closures will affect Pasadena:
Closed from 11:30 am to 1:45 pm
- Area North of the 210 Fwy, East of Hahamongna, West of Lincoln
- Area South of the 210 fwy, East of Rosemont, West of Lincoln, and North of Orange Grove
- Brookside Park/Lot I Users (Parkland south of the Rose Bowl)
- Area South of the 210 fwy, West of the Rose Bowl/Linda Vista and North of the 134 fwy
Additionally, West Drive between Salvia Canyon and Seco Street will be closed starting at 8 p.m. on Friday, through 9 p.m. Saturday.
Santa Clarita and Pasadena both released guides to the closures, but Pasadena officials recommended that drivers take Lincoln Avenue to the East, Linda Vista to the West, Woodbury or the 210 freeway to the North, and Colorado or the 134 Freeway to the South. Residents and visitors alike are also encouraged to take public transit.