Sylmar man pleads no contest to false threat to LA County Fair

0
510

POMONA (CNS) – A Sylmar man who admitted sending a false threat warning of a mass shooting at the Los Angeles County Fair was sentenced to 180 days in county jail and three years probation, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced today.

Erik Jonathan Villasenor, 24, was also ordered to stay away from the fairgrounds for three years, barred from possessing or owning deadly and dangerous weapons and providing false information to law enforcement officials and directed to pay about $13,300 in restitution to the Pomona Police Department for its costs to respond to the threat, according to the District Attorney’s Office.

Villasenor, who pleaded no contest Thursday to a misdemeanor count of false report of an emergency, emailed authorities Sept. 13 to falsely warn of an online threat of a shooting two days later, prosecutors said.

Pomona police Chief Michael Olivieri told reporters that the email sent to the fair association warned that “someone was planning on doing a mass shooting Sunday at the fairgrounds.”

Villasenor subsequently admitted that it was a hoax, and that he had wanted to use it “as an excuse to his parents not to go to the fair,” according to the police chief.

He was arrested Sept. 14 by Pomona police and has remained behind bars since then.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here